Ethereum Film With Vitalik Buterin Beats Crowdfunding Target
A round of crowdfunding for Ethereum documentary “Ethereum: The Infinite Garden,” which is set to feature Ethereum co-founder Vitalik Buterin and Ethereum Foundation Executive Director Aya Miyaguchi, has exceeded its target of 750 ETH, raising 1,035.96 ETH (around US$2 million).
- In the spirit of decentralization, the fundraising exercise, which ended on July 16, brought 662 backers together via Mirror — a decentralized, user-owned, crypto-based network — to contribute to making the feature-length film.
- The project’s website describes the film as “a feature-length documentary film that explores the innovative real-world applications of the Ethereum blockchain, the die-hard community of enthusiasts and developers, and its creator, Vitalik Buterin, whose vision for the internet has the potential to change the world.”
- All but 5% of the proceeds will go towards the film’s production budget, with the remaining funds distributed through a donation to Carbonfund.org for carbon offsets (2%) and Gitcoin grants to support open-source Ethereum projects (3%).
- Pplpleasr, a digital artist whose visuals have appeared in feature films including “Batman vs. Superman,” “Wonder Woman” and “Star Trek Beyond,” has designed a series of “infinite garden” movie poster non-fungible token that have been awarded to top contributors. Apart from receiving the NFT collectibles, backers will also see their names included in the film’s credits or website, depending on the sum they have contributed.
- The film will be directed by Chris Temple and Zach Ingrasci, the founders of Optimist, a production studio in Los Angeles. Development and casting are ongoing and the film is targeted for release in winter 2023.